Prof. Lingaraja Gandhi,
Hon'ble Vice Chancellor of Bengaluru City University
Assumed charge as the 2nd Vice-Chancellor of Bengaluru City University (BCU), Bengaluru on 15th April, 2021 is engaged at University level teaching, research and academic administration for the past 39 years. Basically, Professor of English in the Department of English, University of Mysore.
Different positions held before joining as Vice-Chancellor of Bengaluru City University:
- Served as Registrar, Karnataka State Open University, Mysuru from 22nd January 2020 – 15th April, 2021.
- Served as Registrar, University of Mysore, Mysuru from 20th February 2019 to 7th September 2019.
- Served as Registrar (Evaluation), Bengaluru City University, Central College Campus,Bengaluru (2017-19). As the first Registrar, has introduced “E-Governance” and brought out Examination Manual – 2018
- Served as Director of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Board (PMEB) (2016-17),University of Mysore, Mysuru.
- Served as Director, UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, (formerly, UGC-Academic Staff College) University of Mysore, Mysuru, for four years (2012-2016).
- Served as Director, College Development Council (CDC), University of Mysore for five years (2011-16).
- Served as Nodal officer for RUSA, University of Mysore, Mysuru (2016-17).
- Served as Nodal Officer for University Ranking by NIRF, MHRD, Govt. of India ,New Delhi, The Week National Ranking Survey conducted by KSURF, Govt. of Karnataka.
- Served as Nodal Officer for University Review Commission, University of Mysore, Mysore (2017-18).
- Served overseas as Visiting Professor of English in the University of IBB, Republic of Yemen for three years from 2007 to 2010. Has made conferences presentations held in Stellenbosch University, South Africa, University of Kelaniya, Colombo, Sri Lanka and IBB University, Republic of Yemen.
- Served as UGC Visiting Fellow in the Department of English, IKS University, Khairagarh, India (in 2004 and 2005).
- Published a book, Connecting the Postcolonial (2006), College Development Council Handbook- 2012, co-authored a book, newspapers in the framework of space: Mysore’s Urban Press (1982) & more than 75 articles and interviews (in reputed national and international journals, periodicals from India and overseas).
- Made more than 50 National and International conference presentations held in India and abroad.
- Delivered more than 200 special/plenary lecturers as resource person in different universities and the UGC Academic staff Colleges across the country.
- Directed / Coordinated several international, national and regional conferences and workshops on Literature, Culture Studies and Higher Education. Directed more than 100 refresher courses, orientation programmes and short-term courses as Director of UGC-Academic Staff College, University of Mysore, Mysuru (2012-2016)
- Served as Chairman and Member of the Central Government, State Government and University Level Academic and Administrative Reforms and Affiliation and Autonomous Review Committees.
- Served as Member of Boards of Appointments (BOA’s), Selection Committees, Assessment Committees, Academic, Administration and Audit (AAA) committees of University, UGC, ICAR and State Government; as Chairman/Member of Boards of Studies (BOS), Boards of Examiners (BOE’s), Advisory Committees of UGC-Academic Staff Colleges.
NEP-2020 recognition and achievements:Successful implementation of NEP – 2020 in Bengaluru City University and all its 245 affiliated colleges from 2021-22.
As Chairman of the State level Expert Committee constituted by KSHEC prepared ‘Model Curriculum Framework’ for English subject.
Served as Member for the State Level Expert Committee constituted by KSHEC for designing the Model Structure of Curriculum for Humanities: Languages and Linguistics.
Introduced UG courses in the PG departments of BCU at the Central College Campus from 2022-23 as per NEP-2020.
Established Multi-Disciplinary College for Women at Malleshwaram as per NEP-2020 - University Constituent College.
Established new Postgraduate Departments on campus from the academic year 2021-22 namely: Department of Technology; Department of Environmental Studies and Climate Change; Department of Urban Studies and Planning; Department of Arts and Aesthetics.
As the first Registrar (Evaluation) of BCU in 2018-19, introduced the E-governance and automated the entire Examination Management System and prepared the Examination Manual – 2018 for the new University to bring in efficiency, transparency and accountability.
Prof. Lingaraja Gandhi, Vice-Chancellor has been conferred with “LEADERSHIP AWARD” at the 2nd India Global Education and Skill Summit held on 10th June, 2022 jointly organized by IndiGlobal Media Network and Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Livelihood Department, Government of Karnataka.
The Bengaluru City University has received “EXTRAORDINARY LEADERSHIP” award by the Education World Grand Jury India Higher Education Ranking 2022-23.
Received “THE BEST STATE UNIVERSITY AWARD FOR NSS ACTIVITIES” for the year 2020-21 from the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of Karnataka. The Governor of Karnataka and Chancellor of Universities presented the award to Bengaluru City University under the Vice-Chancellorship of Prof. Lingaraja Gandhi.
Areas of Specialization:
- Higher Education
- Commonwealth Literature
- Postcolonial Theory
- African Fiction
- Indian Writing in English